A Call To Prayer Concerning Same Sex Marriage
This post is NOT from Kay or David Arthur or any member of the Precept Ministries staff.This was written by a guest blogger, a lawyer with insight and experience into the issue of civil rights.
This is a call to prayer.
But first I need to give you a little backdrop on an issue where I feel the Evangelical church has profoundly failed to be like Jesus Christ in that in John 1:14, He was “full of grace and truth” – this is an issue that we have be lacking on both fronts. By this June, homosexual “marriage” could be forced upon America by the Supreme Court.
On today and Wednesday of this week, the U.S. Supreme Court will hear 2 cases:
- Hollingsworth v. Perry – A challenge to California’s state constitution which defines marriage as between 1 man and 1 woman.
- United States v. Windsor – A challenge to the 1996 Defense of Marriage Act, that defines marriage for all federal law purposes as between 1 man and 1 woman.
In both cases, President Obama and his administration are supporting same sex marriage.
The proponents of “homosexual marriage” says that all of these laws defining marriage between one man and one woman violate the United States Constitution’s guarantee of Equal Protection and should be struck down. The homosexual activists in these cases have won in ALL lower courts.
Implications of the Case
- First and foremost, this is attack on the institution of marriage that God defined and created – we could talk for days about the grave consequences if the attack succeeds. But one effect, is that this decision will make it the law of the land that children do not have the right to be raised by both their mother and their father.
- Second, homosexual marriage is the greatest threat to religious liberty in our nation’s history. There have been ongoing attempts to make speaking Biblical truth on homosexuality hate speech. For example, in Alberta, Canada a pastor was fined thousands of dollars and ordered to apologize to any homosexuals he had offended by citing Biblical truth in a letter to a newspaper editor. You are probably thinking "Well, that could never happen here!" Are you sure? If homosexual marriage becomes “the law” then it will be protected under our discrimination laws. This means discrimination suits could be individuals, businesses, & churches who believe homosexuality is wrong.
- We have seen examples of this already here in the US. Elaine Huguenin, a Christian photographer in New Mexico was fined $7000 for refusing to photograph a homosexual “commitment ceremony”. Last June the New Mexico Court of Appeals upheld the conviction and forced her to pay the fine. United Methodists in New Jersey were sued for not allowing a lesbian “civil union” at their church-owned campground. The court ruled against the Methodists.
- Adoption laws around the country that limit adoption by couples to married couples would have to permit adoptions by homosexual “spouses”. Catholic Charities of the Boston Archdiocese was forced to stop adoptions after over 80 years of service and close their adoption agency because they refused to do adoptions to same sex couples.
- Counseling students are being kicked of some graduate programs because they won’t counsel homosexual couples to stay in homosexual relationships.
- Chick-Fil-A was strongly attacked for defending traditional marriage.
- Louie Giglio effectively uninvited from praying at the Presidential Inauguration because 20 years ago, he gave a clear, Biblical message on homosexuality and offered the gospel as the remedy for sin. Activists quoted in the New York Times called on him to repent or say whether his views on homosexuality had “evolved” like President Obama’s.
Albert Mohler, President of Southern Seminary said
“This is precisely what biblical Christians cannot do. While seeking to be gentle in spirit and ruthlessly Gospel-centered in speaking of any sin, we cannot cease to speak of sin as sin. To do so is not only to deny the authority of Scripture, not only to reject the moral consensus of the saints, but it undermines the Gospel itself. The Gospel makes no sense, and is robbed of its saving power, if sin is denied as sin…. If you are a Christian, get ready for the question you will now undoubtedly face: “Do you now or have you ever believed that homosexuality is a sin?” There is nowhere to hide.”
What Can YOU DO?
1. Recognized that we are losing freedoms because we have allowed complacency to outweigh the Biblical mandate to be salt and light.
2. VOTE! Approx. 30% of self-described evangelicals didn’t vote in last election. Every single office matters – local, state, and federal.
3. Biblically evaluate your media choices – does your family “entertainment” consist of prime time television shows and certain popular Hollywood movies? If so, then you and your children receive countless pro-homosexual messages. This is in addition to what is promoted by our President, taught in many public schools, and promoted as diversity in major corporations.
4. Get in the Word of God! Read Genesis 1, Genesis 19, Leviticus 18, Judges 19, I Kings 14, Romans 1, 1 Corinthians 6, 1 Timothy 1, and Jude. The Word of God is not silent on this issue. Find out what it says for yourself.
In accordance with 1Timothy 2:1-2, pray for those in authority, specifically Supreme Court Justices, and President Obama.
Pray for yourself. Are you equipped on this issue? Or are you fearful to speak God’s grace and truth on this issue to those involved in it?
Pray for homosexuals. Have you been content to have ill feelings toward homosexuals, or do you desire their salvation and freedom in Christ?
1. Supreme Court Justices (clerks, etc.) – esp. Justice Kennedy – that they would upheld the law passed by the United States Congress and millions of voters in California who, like those in most other states, voted to affirm the Biblical definition of marriage in their state constitutions
2. Supreme Court advocates – Charles Cooper & Paul Clement – for rest, for clarity of thought, for powerful speech and for cogent answers in response to every question; for their opponents, confusion and stumbling, which is what acceptance of their position would cause
3. President Obama & his administration – Ps. 33:12
4. Christians in our church, city, state, and nation – that they and their children would (1) be Biblically minded on this issue, (2) be equipped to share the hope of the Gospel on this with their co-workers, neighbors, and family members, (3) that we would do this like Christ would, full of grace, but never wavering on truth, without which they don’t know they need grace.
Wrapping it up.
We agree with our guest blogger that the Word of God must be our foundation for all of our responses to any issue we face. In this case you must study the Bible for yourself, becasue we can not depend on what others say the Bible says about sex.
These two resources will help you determine what the Bible says for yourself.